Friday, August 27, 2010

Madison

Something new for me this year is actually racing Madisons. The last 2-3 years I have participated in madison training at the track but never felt strong enough or comfortable enough to sign up for a race. I came close in the middle of last year but as it turned out, I was one of the last to sign up and find a partner and ended up being partnerless. Maybe not such a bad outcome at the time.
This year, more early season madison training and I was actually starting to feel comfortable about the exchanges.
The first madison race of the season came up, I found a partner, Zak M. and off we went. I think it was a 60 lap points race, we didn't place very well but we learned a lot and I found out that I was starting to love madisons.
My next shot was right before Ragbrai, I wasn't palnning to do the madison but one team mate dropped for the night and someone needed a partner so I volunteered. Another successfull race, not great placing but tons more experience. Third event, the State Champ. Madison event for the year. For some reason we had a light racer turn out and the race needed one more team to actually be run. In I jumped even though I was racing against all the Cat 1/2's including my team mate Chris. Another successfull race. I am getting hooked.
The latest adventure was the 2 day Peace Coffee Grind. 2 nights back to back, all madison racing from long points races, to miss and outs to flying TT's. Another great learning experience back with my buddy Zak. As I've told others recently, I would not have traded those race nights, great fun, hard race nights. Not the best pacing but overall great training for USA Master's Championships.

No comments: